"The creation of art is not the fulfillment of a need but the creation of a need.
The world never needed Beethoven's Fifth Symphony until he created it. Now we could not live without it."

-Louis I. Kahn, Architect

Wednesday 2 October 2013

To Louis I. Kahn, architect

"The creation of art is not the fulfillment of a need but the creation of a need.The world never needed Beethoven's Fifth Symphony until he created it. Now we could not live without it."-Louis I. Kahn, Architect


Music: King Crimson - The Sheltering Sky

Louis I. Kahn was a great inspiration when I studied architecture at university in Belgium. Hence my videoclip as a "glimpse" into the "Architect's mind." I never could have met him as he died in 1974, four years before I started uni. Instead I (very briefly) met with his "European equivalent": Mario Botta in Lugano (Switzerland) in 1982 trying to explain him why I considered his architecture was consistent with the philosophy of... Plato! (He probably thought I was a lunatic) lol

Mario Botta. "Casa Rotonda", Medici House in Atabio, Switzerland, 1980-1982
Axonometric projections of the floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment